Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Journey Begins

First of all, Jay, thanks for making me laugh this morning. What a great way to start out the day. Kathy and I went and saw a comedian last night and one of the things he said was "People Don't Laugh Enough".

Official starting weight 168.8. (7:01 a.m.) In the process of downing my salt water drink. UMMMMMM

10/21
12:20 pm.... Have had three drinks and I'm not doing too bad. Have a dull head ache which I had for a day or two last time. Watching football with the cat asleep on my lap. Major snow storm hitting Denver so I'm not feeling the urge to go outside and ride. Stomach starting to growl but I knew the first two days would be the worst. Tomorrow mornings master swim class should be interesting, I'm definitely moving down a lane or two.

4:47 pm... Had/have a massive head ache so decided to go run and then lift weights. Don't ask me the reasoning behind this. I haven't eaten in 24 hours and I have no valid reason for anything I do right now. The running was slow and I felt as I was going to pass out. I thought to myself, I've felt like this in a race before so suck it up. The weights hurt at first but I was surprised I felt better the further I got into the session. Came home, whopped up on the boy in a game of darts and here I sit. Damn, my head hurts. Almost like a hang over head ache. My body is going through detox and it hurts.

10/22

4:42 am 162.2 (-6.6 lbs) Had a massive head ache last evening that wouldn't go away. My wife told me I hadn't drank enough energy concoction drinks. I pounded a double just before bed while watching game 7 of the ALCS and actually slept better than I thought I would. I actually feel pretty good this morning and thought about going to masters swim but with the kids in school I thought I would just drink my salt water flush and get started with work early.

2:46 pm. for a guy who hasn't eaten for almost 48 hours I feel pretty good. As your body rids itself of the toxins you develop a white pasty coating on your tongue. I know, sick... At least you don't have to sit here and feel like you swallowed hair all day long!! When the tongue turns pink again the cleansing is over. The first day was difficult, today not so bad. I even made breakfast and lunches for the kids and didn't once think about sneaking in some food.

10/23

6:30 a.m. 161.2 (7.7lbs). Not feeling too bad this morning. The morning evacuations are the worst. The salt water flush works quickly...........Woke up feeling energized but feel a bit sluggish now. Plan to lift weights and try and run this morning for a few miles. Yesterday I didn't do anything so I felt stiff when I woke up this morning. Besides day one's headache this cleanse has been a lot easier than the first time. My sense of smell is tremendous.

8:21 p.m. Today was probably the easiest of all the days. I should have decided when I started what my goal was. I should know better than this. I feel good and my only complaint is the "drink" is getting stagnant. I switched to lime in the drink from lemon and hopefully my taste buds will be happy. The only difficulty I have is when I open the refrigerator and see food. It has taught me that I can have will power. Staying busy helps keep me focused on not wanting to eat. I eat because I'm board not because I'm hungry. I need to remember this once I end the cleanse.

10/24

Down to 161.0 (-7.8lbs). Felt great waking up this morning. I seem to have more mental clarity. My tongue is starting to turn pink again on the outside which is an indication that I'm on the down side of this fast. I have a busy day ahead of me including a athlete test session, a run and a bike so that should help me focus on not eating. Day 4 and counting.

5pm. It's been 4 days with no food. This is my second cleanse in the last 12 months. I decided that tonight would be my last night. I've accomplished what I wanted to on this cleanse. 1.) lose weight so I may begin a healthier eating habit 2.) follow through on a promise I made myself at the beginning of the year to do one 3 day cleanse each year 3) Remind myself that I eat when I'm board not because I'm hungry. I still will go a day or two with no solid foods. Juice, vegetable soup and perhaps a salad or two for the next few days.

10/25 160.5 (-8.3lbs) And with a mouthful of Cage Free eggs the diet was over. Actually I had some juice and a few nuts last evening to prepare my stomach for what was going to occur in the morning. I feel great, did a spinerval tape this morning with Kathy and lifted weights with Matt after getting the kids off to school. I expect to put half the weight back on but will more vigilant in following a diet based on the paleo principals.

3 comments:

Duane said...

Salt water - yuck! I shudder thinking about it! :-)

Podium quest said...

& that is supposed to be good 4 u? If u weren't so fast I'd question it. But I
know u, so I know it must work. But that doesn't mean u can convince me 2 do it.
LOL.

Tri-Dummy said...

"My sense of smell is tremendous."

I think you meant "my smell is tremendous."

Those detox cleansings are NO JOKE. Serious mental will power.

I'm guessing by your motivation, you didn't go out for a celebratory double quarter pounder w/cheese, fries and a milk shake...super sized, of course.