Monday, November 12, 2007

Training


Nothing special about this picture other than it makes me laugh every time I see it. The joy of my daughter and her cat are on other sides of the spectrum.
My training continues to go well. I logged 11 hours last week including a 45 mile bike ride with my wife. The weather in Colorado has been incredible this fall and we took advantage on Friday by riding from Sedalia to Palmer Lake. I was a bit apprehensive about riding for 2 + hours because my back didn't tolerate rides over 1.5 hours this summer. Much to my surprise I had few issues. I've been working on my gluteus muscles and core and this made a big impact on my ability to hold correct form on the bike. After a near high speed crash last spring I have been hesitatnt to descend hills with much speed. Although there were no significant descents or turns on this route I felt more comofortable on the bike and regaind some confidence I lost.
My running is still slow to progress but I'm running longer than I have in recent years. I will continue to be patient and know that my goal at this time of year is to build a strong foundation while teaching my body to burn fuel (fat) efficiently. On Saturday I woke up with an infected right big toe ( I get this from time to time). I usually poke around with a needle to relieve some of the fluid build up and all is good. This time around, the toe was bright red and no matter how much I poked and prodded no drainage. Since I meet some athletes each Sunday to run I elected to proceed as planned. My toe actually hurt less while running than walking. After the run was different. Excruciating pain. I went to Walgreen's and purchased some "outgrow" and it made an immediate impact on the pain. This morning, the toe was much better and I'm convinced I will get in my run tomorrow.
I'm feeling more comfortable in the pool. In past seasons I've made a permanent shift to the "gutter lane" until January or February then I move up a few lanes once I feel my comfortable with any stroke/body modifications I wanted. This year I want to go into race season faster so I'm staying put in my current lane. I seem to do fine on the long slow stuff but when the pace picks up I don't have that next gear. My masters coach has explained that in order to get faster in the water you need to push through some ceilings. At first it won't be comfortable, but in due time you will have a break through in your times. Consistency in the water (3x week) and strength work should help me achieve my goals.
Kathy continues to train for the Tucson marathon. She is running very well and the new weight/core routine is having an impact on our bodies ability to absorb the impact of running. We have never concentrated on running form, but after a recent running lesson from Bobby McGee we are amazed at how much form matters when running. A lot of athletes don't think about form, they just run. If you think about it, most of us can't remember being taught how to run, we just did it. Small changes to arm, head and body position have a dramatic effect on how efficiently you run.
I have one more week of base building then I will re test from week one to see what gains I have made.
Peace!!!

1 comment:

Podium quest said...

Tranining through both back & toe probs. Very dedicated. Very impressive.