Friday, September 28, 2007

The Off Season

So with my race season officially over I have moved into my "off season" mentality. My wife laughs at me but I truly believe that your mental focus changes as you progress through the different aspects of a season. I even wrote an article on "mental periodization" http://www.milehighmultisport.com/articles/mentalprep.htm. The article started out as a spoof but I believe there is merit to the content. I've never proven my thoughts in a lab so I won't write a book. I'm not a big fan of a book written about "Nutrition Periodization" as it is my understanding that the "theory" was never tested and is basically common sense eating expanded to make someone think they are an expert on the topic.



I was going to run a leg in the Denver marathon but have contracted Epididymitis which is basically a inflammation of the epididymis. I have an infection of the urinary tract. I thought women only got this but then again I've been told I am the women in my house. The bottom line is that it is very painful and I've been on antibiotics for three weeks. I wasn't supposed to race the Crescent Moon but i didn't listen to the Dr. Foolish move as I was in a lot of pain post race and for several days after. I can only swim which I did 4 times this week. This morning I looked at my friend Scott Messick 2500 yards into the workout and said "say the word breakfast and I'm out of here". We were at the Egg and I within 30 minutes. I followed up breakfast with 9 holes of golf with my son, who is off school today. There is something wrong with paying greens fees and then having your kid say to you "dad you owe me $5". Why I bet against a freshman who made the varsity golf team is something I need to exam. The game seems more fun to me when a little cash is on the line. This is a picture of Nick on his first day of school. They had a tournament........

So my off season has started out on the disabled list with no biking, running or lifting. I can start lifting lightly next week and look forward to gaining back some strength lost during the season. I was asked to write an article by Triathlon Life magazine and look forward to getting my second article published in a major triathlon magazine.

Have a great weekend everyone. Peace

3 comments:

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

You bet your son on the varsity gold team. Hmm...the logic does fail me.

Hope you feel better soon and the off season goes well. Still a few more weeks to go for me.

Mile High Multisport said...

Golf with an F not Gold with a G....Thanks for the well wishes. Hang in there trifeist. Remember what your goals are for your big race. Best Wishes

rebecca hallin said...

I will keep my eyes open for the article. hope you feel better soon.