Saturday, February 23, 2008

Arizona




The photos above are of my dad, son, sister and her fiance Daveandof my children Nick and Lauren and Dave's daughter Hannah. Karen and Dave were engaged (sorry Big D) on Valentines day. I'm happy for them as I truly believe Dave has had a very calming influence on my sister and I have never seen her so happy.

Vacation?
I'm off to Scottsdale for a week of s/b/r with Jonathan Nixon and Steve Uccello. What seemed like a great idea 3 months ago leaves me wondering what in the hell was I thinking. Nixon is training for Ironman South Africa and just completed a 100 mile training ride in 5 hours and Uccello is 5 weeks out from Ironman California. I'm looking forward to the warm air, sunshine and some male bonding but as I packed my bike last night I kept thinking to myself.. "I'm going to be riding a lot by myself:. None the less I'm looking forward to putting in some good base mileage.

The beauty of all this is that Nixon had a 2.5 hour run today and Uccello raced a 10 mile this morning. For tomorrow I may be safe. The rest of the week will be a question mark. Photos and details of the trip to follow.

Steve has researched the area thoroughly and knows where the bike routes are, food markets, pools and even has us scheduled for a cub/giants exhibition game next Thursday. There is some talk of golf but I highly doubt that will happen.

2007 USAT Rankings

The 2007 USAT rankings are out and I ended up 350th. I've never really paid attention to where I ended up until this year. Kathy was 16th in her age group and earned All American status. I was closer to Honorable mention status than I thought. Had it not been for a very questionable penalty in Boulder 5430 sprint race I would have been fairly close. the rankings are interesting to me. I have to honestly say I did well at some very small races. The Boulder sprint and Sprint National championships probably earned me some decent points but the truth is I don't think the USAT rankings give a realistic picture of where you ranking country wide (I should be lower than 350 in my age group). Look at 2006 for example. For Kathy's three races she took 4th at IMCDA, 2nd at the Boulder Long Course and 15th at the Ironman World Championships. She only earned Honorable mention status and was near the bottom of the listing. In 2007 she takes 3rd overall at Loveland Lake to Lake, second at Boulder Peak and 5430 Long Course and second at Rattlesnake National Sprint Championships. She ends up 16th. In my opinion, 2006 was a far tougher race schedule against tougher competition. To me, the rankings favor the short course athlete who does well.

1 comment:

rebecca hallin said...

have a great time in Arizona with the guys. I also did the 10 mile run on Sat at Cherry Creek. My first 10 mile run event, working towards the Colfax half marathon come May. Is Steve U one of your clients? He used to work with Kelvin Martin my fiancee. I think Kelvin saw him at the run on Sat. Man he is a great runner we always look for his times.