Wednesday, February 6, 2008

When the Status Quo Changes

We have a very strong Triathlon Community in Highlands Ranch, Colorado. Perhaps I'm biased but based on what I have observed over the past few years in terms of results, friendships, training groups, etc I have to believe it is one of the best cities in the United States to live if you are a triathlete.

One of the strengths of our community is that we have (had) a masters swim program which is part of one of the local recreation centers. How many of you can say that you can get to a masters program 5 days a week in the morning, twice a week over lunch and twice in the evenings within 10 mintues of your home? Our masters classes are filled with everyone from your first time danskin type to people who win their age groups in Kona and even a bronze medal olympic athlete.

Recently the individual who runs the program had a parting of ways with the Comunnity Association. Over night, the swimming/triathlon community was at a loss on where to swim and for who. As odd as this may seem, many of the locals had come to relay on the head coach. Let's face it, when you find someone who can push you to the next level by his presence on deck you don't go looking elsewhere. This individual is a close friend of mine and my phone and e-mail have been out of control over the past few days asking me "what they should do?". In times of trouble, the true charcater of people and their ability to problem solve is never more evident. I tend to look at these situations and say "o.k. this isn't what it used to be but there has to be another way in which to make everyone happy." The current class went on but with many distractions and the end result was that it just wasn't the same any more.

Yet the e-mails and phone calls kept arriving. "what do I do? Where do I go? Now what?". The answers to me were simple. A. Either siwm on your own and self motivate B. Find another program to swim C. find a couple of training partners and make a promise to push each other. It doesn't need to be the end of the world. It is o.k. to mourn the loss of a situation but as athletes we need to survive in times when environments aren't perfect. Everything isn't always going to be perfect when we train or race. Anyone can do well when the conditions are well. It is the athletes who can focus in times of trouble that succeed.

Honestly, I'm not happy about what happened either. Persnally and professionally it makes my life more difficult. Am I going to stew over this? No, I'm in the process of finding a work around that should get this individual on deck some time soon. In the mean time, I'm not wasting any negative energy talking about what happened or why, it isn't going to change a thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to swim in the master program when I lived in HR, but I have since relocated to Wyoming. Now, I swim in a pool that doesn't even put up lane lines for open swimming, plus I have to share the pool with old people doing water aerobics or just sidestroking back and forth. Just like Pete said, sometimes the situation sucks, but you gotta do what it takes to train.